Skip to main content

Why blog?

 Hi and welcome! 

Why am I starting a blog in April 2022?

Short answer: I am starting this blog for myself as a journal of my commitment to be a professional artist and creating my own art business.

Full answer from my heart: Honestly, I turned 60 last month and pretty much freaked out. To me, taking my mixed media art to the next level is now or never. I truly have to get off my behind and quit making excuses. I had always dreamed of being a full time artist since I was young. I have always been creative and have done well in the short periods of time that I put myself out there as an artist. Then I would stall, get nervous, remember the "starving artist" stereotype, wonder what I was doing and how I could possible feed my children as an artist and I would grudgingly go back to the desk job that was consistent. I would tell myself I had had kids to feed, and two growing boys can eat a lot. I am now 60 and can no longer work a desk job or any other job to support myself. I have ran out of excuses and I do not want to run out of time. For me, the time is now and hopefully this blog will help me be accountable.

Aren't blogs obsolete? 

I have no idea and it doesn't matter. This is my journal of the new chapter in my life. I have to learn and jumping right in is my signature style. If this blog is ever read, my signature style will be displayed I am sure. This is the way I learn. You could give me a detailed book on how to do what I want to do but until I touch it, feel it, smell it, try it, I won't learn from a book. Plus, I have never followed instructions well anyway. 

Does anyone even read blogs anymore?

I have no idea and it doesn't matter. See answer above.

What makes me and my art special?

Absolutely nothing and definitely everything. We are all artists. We are all unique. We each bring our personal light to everything we do and everywhere we go. You are are truly special and shine a light into the world that the world desperately needs. So do I. So does my art. I want my art to bring my unique light into the world, to represent me and add to your light and the light from everyone courageous enough to shine theirs.

And off I go...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's lavender season...

I love fresh lavender. The aroma traveled to my booth at the Farmers Market from several aisles away. I finally had to go get some, which meant I would be weaving up a bunch of lavender wands.  Years ago I learned how to make lavender wands. The trick in creating the natural sachets of buds is to make them from fresh cut lavender and to work quickly. I spent last Sunday and Monday weaving thin ribbon through the stems of the flowers which create a lovely container for the aromatic buds.  Just a quick squeeze of the bulb of the wand will release the beautiful scent of lavender for years. Creating these wands is extremely relaxing and fun. If you would like to learn how to weave lavender wands, there's lots of tutorials out on YouTube.  Please share with me in the comments something creative you do that's also relaxing. Pass on some smiles today. Robin 

Procrastination...

I have been told that artists procrastinate. If that is true, then I am an artist and I can blame being an artist for my procrastination. I have been like this my entire life. I worked jobs that were high stress with unimaginable deadlines with numerous last minute changes. I think I became comfortable with working well under pressure. Well this last week it has snowballed on top of me. I have been trying to get glassware painted, cured for 4 days and then baked in the oven and ready for the weekly Farmers Market. I have the large banner to finish by this coming Saturday for the Art On Parade and I have to paint several pairs of shoes as samples for an upcoming Painted Sneakers class I am doing next month. All this while I try to post on social media and get this blog off the ground. Happy to report that I have been steadily moving forward on all fronts however I do need to start being a little more organized. Last Saturday at the Farmers Market: The front of the banner is done and var

First time at the Farmer's Market...

Yesterday was opening day for the Certified Organic Farmer's Market in our County here in Northern California. I was approved for being one of the local artists approved for a vendor spot. It started off as a cloudy and cold morning around 40 degrees. The sun started to peak through about 10am which was warming. The weather here has been weird for sure. I was assured by the Master Gardener's that I was not the only one loosing springtime plants and flowers this year. Glad to know my pale green thumb hasn't gone completely brown. Here's a look at my table: I also had a few totes hanging from the two front corners of the pop-up that the market's organizer let me borrow. If I had waited to have a lot of merchandise to sell I would never have set up. I have done that before too many times. Plus I was in it for the sake of putting myself and my artwork out into the public. If I sold anything, that would be the bonus. And I did sell four painted wine glasses! It paid for