Skip to main content

Wednesday came a day late...

Warning, the first paragraph is my brain dump on the recent tragedies. Please skip that paragraph if you do not want to read and go below it for my weekly art.

I remembered today was Thursday, not Wednesday, and I missed a post day. Honestly I have been a mess these last couple days from the tragedy in Uvalde, TX. Right before this week's mass shooting there was the mass shooting at Tops Grocery in Buffalo, NY. Both assailants were 18 year old kids. I am not here for debates or politics. It just left me feeling numb and angry. Along with asking WTF! Because of that I didn't do art for a couple days. Even trying to draw my doodle flowers that bring me so much joy seemed impossible.

Despite being non-creative for a couple days, I have gotten some things done for the Farmer's Market this Saturday:

A new simpler design on some of the zipper bags that have been colored washed using acrylic paint.

I did an acrylic paint wash in Liquitex Heavy Body Prussian Blue and Iridescent Medium.

The final blue came out gorgeous and the Converse have a faint shimmer to them. 

I attempted to paint my Okabashi's with Arteza Metallic Fabric Paint. The navy blue pearl over the tops came out really nice. You can see the metallic shimmer where the light is hitting the sandals. I originally painted white flowers on top with the Arteza paints. I didn't like the way it was drying so I decided to go over the flowers with Liquitex Titanium White acrylic and then White Iridescent. That looked better so I continued with ink to fill in details. That's when I realized how hard it was to ink on top of the layers of paint and it wasn't turning out very well. Had to cover up the ink attempt so i used several layers of Liquitex Gesso, then Titanium White (again) and another light layer of the Iridescent Medium. That was looking better however I wanted to tint the flowers a bit so I used a little Liquitex Cadmium Yellow Light wash and had to stop. It still doesn't look right to me. I may attempt ink again to fix it and I do like the textures in the flowers. For now, I had to walk away and let it rest.

I have had lots of compliments on my black WalMart sneakers. I painted them with Liquitex Acrylic Paints and they came out great. I decided to paint a pair using the Arteza Metallic Fabric Paints and compare the two.
My personal pair above
Size 7 new pair below


Both pairs look good and I am happy with the finished look. I like using the Liquitex paints more for flowers. The Arteza are great for cotton swab or dots however they have a rougher finish and dry extremely fast. The Arteza paints are more difficult to ink over. Trying to leave detail lines was bumpy and tore up the tips on my Sharpies. For painting flowers on shoes, I am going to try Arteza regular fabric paints next but only after I finish painting the flowers on my new blue Converse with my most loved Liquitex products.

That's all for me. It does feel good to get back into creating. I do encourage everyone in California to get out and vote on Tuesday June 7th.

Stay well, stay safe, tell your loved ones they are loved.

Robin

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's lavender season...

I love fresh lavender. The aroma traveled to my booth at the Farmers Market from several aisles away. I finally had to go get some, which meant I would be weaving up a bunch of lavender wands.  Years ago I learned how to make lavender wands. The trick in creating the natural sachets of buds is to make them from fresh cut lavender and to work quickly. I spent last Sunday and Monday weaving thin ribbon through the stems of the flowers which create a lovely container for the aromatic buds.  Just a quick squeeze of the bulb of the wand will release the beautiful scent of lavender for years. Creating these wands is extremely relaxing and fun. If you would like to learn how to weave lavender wands, there's lots of tutorials out on YouTube.  Please share with me in the comments something creative you do that's also relaxing. Pass on some smiles today. Robin 

First time at the Farmer's Market...

Yesterday was opening day for the Certified Organic Farmer's Market in our County here in Northern California. I was approved for being one of the local artists approved for a vendor spot. It started off as a cloudy and cold morning around 40 degrees. The sun started to peak through about 10am which was warming. The weather here has been weird for sure. I was assured by the Master Gardener's that I was not the only one loosing springtime plants and flowers this year. Glad to know my pale green thumb hasn't gone completely brown. Here's a look at my table: I also had a few totes hanging from the two front corners of the pop-up that the market's organizer let me borrow. If I had waited to have a lot of merchandise to sell I would never have set up. I have done that before too many times. Plus I was in it for the sake of putting myself and my artwork out into the public. If I sold anything, that would be the bonus. And I did sell four painted wine glasses! It paid for

Procrastination...

I have been told that artists procrastinate. If that is true, then I am an artist and I can blame being an artist for my procrastination. I have been like this my entire life. I worked jobs that were high stress with unimaginable deadlines with numerous last minute changes. I think I became comfortable with working well under pressure. Well this last week it has snowballed on top of me. I have been trying to get glassware painted, cured for 4 days and then baked in the oven and ready for the weekly Farmers Market. I have the large banner to finish by this coming Saturday for the Art On Parade and I have to paint several pairs of shoes as samples for an upcoming Painted Sneakers class I am doing next month. All this while I try to post on social media and get this blog off the ground. Happy to report that I have been steadily moving forward on all fronts however I do need to start being a little more organized. Last Saturday at the Farmers Market: The front of the banner is done and var